Search Site
Child Support


Getting the support your children deserve

After a divorce, you may worry about how you are going to take care of your children financially. Children deserve to be supported by their parents, and Florida courts take this responsibility seriously. At The Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, P.A., we have helped more than a thousand clients secure and enforce child support orders. Our experienced divorce attorney frequently gets referrals from judges and other lawyers because we are diligent and responsive to our clients’ needs.

Child support in Florida

Under Florida law, child support is calculated using a formula, and many factors are considered in determining support:

  • The number of overnight stays with each parent
  • The income of both parents
  • Health insurance and uncovered medical expenses
  • Child care costs
  • Income in the form of noncash contributions
  • Private school tuition and expenses
  • Extracurricular activities
  • Any extraordinary needs or costs associated with the lifestyle enjoyed by the children during the marriage

The court may order temporary child custody, time-sharing and temporary child support orders to ensure that the children are provided for until a final order is issued. A judge may also order retroactive support covering up to 24 months prior to the date of filing the case or to the date the couple separated, whichever is shorter.

What if the ordered child support is not paid?

Parents sometimes try to hide income or provide false information to avoid paying child support. At The Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, we investigate your ex-spouse’s financial circumstances to calculate child support properly.

If your former spouse fails to pay child support ordered by the court, there are several enforcement mechanisms available. They can be held in contempt of court or have their drivers license suspended and tax refunds intercepted. A lien can even be placed on your ex-spouse’s property. In some situations, the court may work with other agencies to suspend non-payers’ passports or seize bank accounts.

There is no statute of limitations on child support, so arrears can be enforced after the child has reached the age of majority and against the payer’s estate in the event the parent dies. Our experienced Miami family attorney pursues all available avenues to get the support to which your children are entitled.

Can child support be changed?

If your situation has changed since child support was ordered, it may be possible to modify the support order. Child support can be modified if there has been a substantial, permanent and unanticipated change in circumstances. A substantial change in circumstances may include:

  • Job loss
  • Terminating child care
  • The disability of a parent
  • An increase in the costs of health insurance or daycare
  • A substantial increase or decrease in either parent’s income
  • Failure to exercise time-sharing
  • An increase or decrease in time-sharing
  • The difference between existing obligation is at least 15% or $50.00, whichever amount is greater

South Florida child support firm with the experience you need

Worrying about how you are going to provide for your children is stressful. Let us minimize your stress by helping you get the support your children deserve. Contact The Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, P.A. at 305-670-8656 or online to schedule a consultation. Se habla espanol, and we are conveniently located near the Dadeland South Metrorail.

Lawrence  S.  Katz Attorney Photo
Lawrence S. Katz

For many years, Lawrence S. Katz has helped clients in Florida, throughout the United States and abroad. He has earned an excellent worldwide reputation for providing knowledgeable, quality representation in family law matters.

Client Reviews
  • "Attorney Katz has a keen sense for understanding the overall situation and immediately formulating an action plan. He is direct, succinct and effective. I highly recommend Attorney Katz for his experience, integrity and results!" - Vivian

  • "Mr. Katz is the best divorce lawyer in the Miami area. Very knowledgeable and experienced. We had a difficult case and he delivered impressive result. His assistant Fanny it is a great asset to that office as well." - Georgette

  • "My case was a complex one and Mr. Katz provided me with a course of action that led to a favorable outcome. He is clearly knowledgeable and experienced but he is also very prompt. He is always available to answer questions via email, Skype or phone. As an overseas client this was very important to me. I would definitely recommend Mr. Katz especially for international divorce and custody cases." - Anonymous

  • "I am extremely grateful to have had Larry represent me. In International Family Law I would say he has few, if any, equals." - Anonymous

  • "This divorce lawyer is excellent, charismatic, professional, and cares about the customer. I gave a case to him that it was impossible to solve, and he did solved the problem like it was very simple. He was always in touch and answering all my questions, either by phone or by email." - Manjit

Contact us

Quick Contact Form