Home / Practice Areas / Interstate Custody


Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, P.A.


Professional, high-quality representation

In today’s mobile society, parents may need to move because of new employment, a new marriage or military orders. Whatever the reason, relocation statute must be considered and followed. At The Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, P.A., we have a thorough understanding of the regulations and legal precedent governing interstate custody and relocation. We understand that every family’s situation is unique, and we work with you to develop a strategy to achieve the resolution that fits your family.

Uniform interstate custody and parental relocation laws

When one parent relocates to another state, custody and jurisdiction to modify is governed by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). The UCCJEA was established to avoid jurisdictional wrangling among states and to prevent parents from forum shopping for a state with favorable custody or child support laws. The uniform law governs interstate and international custody as well as relocation issues, and limits the jurisdiction of custody matters to one state.

In some cases, children must be placed with someone other than the parents. Those cases may be governed by the International Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC). The ICPC outlines procedures for child placement and fixes responsibility for making placement decisions. We help you understand the interplay between various laws and court decisions and their application to your situation.

Does Florida still have jurisdiction in my custody case?

Generally, Florida courts retain jurisdiction if one parent still lives here. Depending on your situation, other courts may be an option for seeking or modifying custody. When we meet with you, we discuss the facts of your situation and explore your available options.

What if I oppose the relocation of my child to another state?

Relocating without following the proper legal process can amount to parental child abduction. It is important to have a child custody lawyer working with you to protect your rights and to secure court permission if necessary before you relocate.

After a parent is served with a notice of the proposed relocation, there is limited time to respond. If you oppose the relocation, you must file a formal objection. If parents can’t agree on the relocation, they must proceed to trial and the case is decided by a judge. Whether you are seeking permission to relocate or objecting to relocation, you can rely on our extensive experience in these cases and a dedicated interstate family law attorney to fight for you.

Call a Miami child custody and relocation lawyer for guidance

Whether you are seeking or opposing relocation, select an attorney experienced in interstate child custody and relocation issues. The Law Offices of Lawrence S. Katz, P.A. works diligently for you. Contact us at 786-991-2629 or online to schedule a consultation. We serve clients abroad and throughout South Florida and the United States with compassion and determination. Se habla español.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form